Thursday 15 October 2009

BLOG ACTION DAY!

I signed up for blog action day a while ago and nearly missed it! Thank goodness for that reminder e-mail.

I have been thinking about how much justoneperson can do to change things for the better, which is the knub of this blogspot. I have been inspired by a couple of events. First there was the news of Jane Walker the English woman who visited the Phillippines and saw the children scrabbling about on the rubbish tips at Manila's 'smokey mountain dump'. She decided to DO SOMETHING (which is also a key message of this blog......if only we all did a little then a lot would be achieved) and stayed to build a school and in doing so changed the lives of the whole community. Jane....... justoneperson did that, how amazing.

On a smaller scale I was inspired by a council worker who was paid to empty the bins along the tow path. He had a whole group of seagulls swooping round him. As I drew closer (on my bike) I could see that he was sifting through the rubbish and throwing out any edible stuff. 'You've got some friends', I called as I went by. He looked up and just quietly said, 'I try to look after them.' 'I try to look after them', is a message we can all take away and use today, this week or next month. To look after something, someone, some living creature. Or as Andrew Wilson said, 'Accept that we are living through a period of mass extinction but provide habitat for some fellow travellers from another species.' It doesn't take a lot of doing just a bit of thinking about.

I did my bit this week. I saw a ladybird on the basket of my bike when I stopped for work. Surprisingly it was still there when I rode back down the tow path home. I watched it carefully thinking it would fly away any minute, but managed to get it all the way to my back garden where I introduced it to my new ladybird house. No idea if it went into any of those holes to over winter but at least it had a viewing. Perhaps the start of a whole new colony for me. I also have a solitary bee house, unoccupied at present, which will hopefully provide a home for someone in the spring.

That's me for this week. Happy BLOG ACTION DAY

No comments:

Post a Comment